Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Column Analysis - The Analysis of Compression Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyt4

Aerospace
Dec 8, 2015
US
I am trying to find a copy of Engineering Column Analysis - The Analysis of Compression Members by William Mccombs for a while now. Any idea how to buy/find a copy of this book? Probably publisher and author are long gone... Any leads or tips much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sadly, the author Bill McCombs passed away about 10 years ago, and his wife not long after, so the publishing rights have evaporated AFAIK.
If you have any skill with google, you have probably found his Supplement on archive.org, but the Columns is not there.
I know someone who might have a copy. If you want, I could contact them on your behalf. Please let me know if that interests you.

Please remember: we're not all rednecks!

For things like this I usually see where it is available using WorldCat.

Unfortunately in this case it looks like the only library copy known to WorldCat is in Germany:

But the contact info is there, if you get in touch the library might be able to arrange something with you.

Edit: under the last link, if you click on "order for a fee" they may be able to scan you a copy.
Edit Edit: Worldcat / Interlibrary Loan is extraordinarily useful - that's how I have acquired many rare books including stress intensity factors by Sih and Murakami.

Keep em' Flying
//Fight Corrosion!

allabright said:
Quote (LiftDivergence)
that's how I have acquired many rare books including stress intensity factors by Sih and Murakami.

Likewise, do you have a scanned copy of those books available?

I do have scanned copies but I received them through libraries under fair use associated with the public library system. They are still copywritten materials, so I would suggest you take the same approach as me.

Murakami is probably more difficult to track down, but it is not a periodical, so you could probably get it through ILL. I see you are from GB based on your profile. Sih should be available to you pretty easily depending on where you are:

Keep em' Flying
//Fight Corrosion!

I found a PDF copy but it is very clearly copyright to the author himself in 2004. I say this because copyright works differently for individuals and corporations. The copyright should last 70 years past the authors death, and may have been transferred to an heir or other party.

I'm not trying to tantalize anyone with the PDF... this is more of an informational post.

We know the copyright is 2004 and I've also found the inscription "Published by Datatec, Dallas, TX". However, I've not been able to find any information on the publisher at all so I don't know if copies can still be bought, or what the status of the publishing rights is.

It is 178 pages and there is what appears to be a home address and home phone # for McCombs. I haven't called it since I assume it would just put me in contact with someone with no relevant info.

Maybe someone here can do some better sleuthing on Datatec, or has more knowledge of copyright law.

Keep em' Flying
//Fight Corrosion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back