Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Desing Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

linus2003

Civil/Environmental
Aug 6, 2003
US
I am in the process of putting together a set of design standards for a water company that does both potable water and recycled water distribution. I would like to get a handle on the design standards for the potable water system (pipes, booster stations, wells, etc.). Do any of you have a template or a set of good design standards for potable water systems that you have that you can share with me. It will be very helpful, so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel… Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many different factors that will play into your design standards, such as soil conditions, environmental conditions, and existing design standards. However as you start looking through different design standards, you'll find that all of them are very similar, yet different. My advice would be to research some of the larger established companies in and around your system and/or the cities and counties and go with what works for them. Different cities and counties will also have standards that may not coincide with what your water company would like to do. For example, your water company may want their waterline located 5 off the edge of blacktop, the city may require you to install it 5’ off the centerline, they may also have specific trench bedding details and so on...

Is this a private water utility, doing work in a local community?

If so, it sounds like they may already have to abide by at least some of the design standards of the local municipality.

In my area, we have one private water utility that owns/operates a number of wells, pump stations, and distribution system. But, they have emergency tie-ins to the public water system - mostly becuase they have fire hydrants that the fire department must be able to tie into and reliable pull water from.

Because of those emergency tie-ins, they have to abide by the local public utility design standards - at least at the fire hydrants and at the tie-in points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back