Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlander

Structural
Apr 6, 2011
US
I designed some precast concrete wall systems for a client who plans to re-use the design for future projects. The walls and footings will need to be checked and possibly re-designed for various conditions. Each structural package should be fairly easy to put together. I want to propose a sensible fair pricing structure for the future. The project sizes will vary from under one hundred feet of wall to a mile or so. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like to charge a minimum of 50% of the original fee for redo/reuse. You still have all the same liabilities, and also probably have to review shop drawings. If there will be many reuses, you may consider taking a little less if the client balks.

There will be different wind, seismic and/or soil conditions.

I'm wondering what I should charge in the case of a really large re-use. I'll most likely be providing the site plan also. I'm thinking about a percentage of the job to a maximum. What if I proposed a set fee per job up to 200' of walls? Then added 30% of the original cost for the next 200', then 20% for the next 200', then 10% for the next 200' for each additional 200'.

But interesting nonetheless and something common to the profession... I usually go for 50% for first redesign and 35% for all subsequent...

Dik

There is a certain amount of work required to excercise due diligence regardles of whether or not a redesign is required.

10% is far too little in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back