Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

engineering hoaxes and horrible decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhughes1

Aerospace
Oct 8, 2004
US
I would like to hear from engineers who have knowledge of projects that were technically unfeasible from the start but were promoted anyway (usually to keep the money rolling) and bad decisions that were made in the face of engineering analysis and recommendations.

Examples of the first include single stage to orbit, space elevators, the Space Shuttle (to some extent) and full speed ahead for the Titanic through an ice field.

Examples of the second include the decision to launch Challenger, to ignore indications of damage to Columbia, design and analysis of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

You need not convey any information that might make you liable to legal action or retaliation from former or current employers, or, at least, thoroughly disguise your identity.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nhughes..

The show "Modern Marvels: Engineering Diasters" on the History channel [www.historychannel.com], has presented some amazing stories... that are very sobering and a "must-see" for engineers! Check it out!

NOTE: sometimes You just have to do your best.. and press-on... otherwise You'll tend to stagnate thru indecision and fear. I have seen extremely "conservative" [NO GO] decisions made by engineers, kill otherwise healthy and acceptable designs/projects due to their fear of personal or corporate liability. As a well known aero engineer used to quote quit often, when asked why he risked designing GA aircraft [including homebuilts]: "The tortise only makes progress when it's neck is stuck-out". OH Yeah.. he would always participate [FLY] in critical test-flights... to get closer to the problems and really know his aircraft's good/bad habits... so he could get better the next time.

Likewise I have seen projects pushed ahead with poor planning and analysis of risky technologies... that failed [usually when funding plug was pulled, quietly or loudly].

Note: if You go to the Apollo moon landing websites... such as ... You realize how many things went WRONG in EVERY mission and how close to disaster we were ["0" margin for error many times]... Yet they prevailed. Each mission could have been a disaster... but each mission also had an incredible number of human minds working each problem with a sense of the issues ingrained thru training and experience and a realization of the "unknowns" that might be encountered.

I think that the biggest contributing factor in engineering disasters is "complacency": failure to recognize and account for critical details... or even acknowledge the possibility of their existance... and failure to maintain vigilance.

Comments????????

HMMMMMM... life is dangerous... no one gets-out-alive in the end.

Regards, Wil Taylor

I see it alot on a small scale. One example is; Management tells Engineering to do job A without using items B,C and D so that he/she won't get yelled at for going overbudget. Engineering says it can't be done, but has to then show how it almost worked. Following failing results, one of two things happens.
1) Management allows the use of B (at higher costs) and it gets a little closer, then C is ok'd and it's just shy of spec. Then management says ok to D (even though it's expensive) and it finally makes spec. It's 30% overbudget instead of 5% overbudget due to management limitations because he'she didn't believe engineering.
2) Management leaves the program at the 90% point so that the new manager gets the blame for going over budget.
kch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back