Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entering tolerances while modeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC2008

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2008
GB
Hey, I'm trying to enter tolerances such as +0,2/+0,1 while modeling so I can automatically get them in Draft.
Is this possible and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

may I point out that also you can retrieve them with a draft's
function they will not update automatically later on. This
has never been corrected

dy

Great, thanks!
Hope you don't mind me asking one more question.
I can't see referance planes that are "inside" a body. How can I make them visible?

In the drawing view properties you will need to set the hidden line display ON for the reference planes.
I usually set the visible and hidden line styles to Phantom or Centre for reference planes.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

No, the settings are in the draft view properties.
RMB on the draft view > Properties > Display
In the list of parts RMB on the top level and select "List Reference Planes".
Then find the part whose reference planes you want to display. You can then show them and set hidden lines on/off etc. just as for any of the models, so select the appropriate planes and then click the checkbox to show them etc.
Anything you want to show/hide or change the linestyle for in a drawing view is set in this way.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Sorry, a slight misunderstanding.
Perhaps you could be more specific about which environment you are refering to.
Anyway, if you are working in ASSEMBLY and you want to display the reference planes for a part just RMB on the part and select Show Component > Reference Planes.
If you are in a part RMB somewhere in free space and select Show All > Refernce Planes, or select the plane in the history tree and RMB > Show.
The Show All / Hide All works in any modelling environment.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

To increase the size of Reference Planes, i.e. if hidden inside models like I think you are asking, you can either double click on reference plane or RMB on the plane in the tree and select Dynamic Edit and edit size, this will edit the size of that plane only.
If you want all the Reference Planes size increased go to Tools - Options - General and change the size, I suggest doing this in the Templates if continually modelling larger components.
U can alternatively hover over the Reference Planes in the tree and they will highlight so you see and select the desired plane if hidden.

beachcomber: I know about the show reference planes button. What I am unable to do is see the planes through objects if you know what I mean.

RAYMIECDE01: Thanks!

Doh!
I think I'm with you now.
Do you mean you can't see the plane edges if entirely surrounded by a solid body ?
One option is as Raymiecd01 says.
With my setup I can see the plane edges, but they are very faint.
You can change the plane edge colour to black (or whatever works best) from Tools>Options>Coulours>Plane Edges

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back