Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Environment Control for Small Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly68

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2003
US
Do you guys have any suggestions for what type of equipment would be able to accurantely maintain the temperature and humidity in a small display cabinet. The cabinet will be approximately 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. It will not have any solar gains. It will have a historically significant plaster statue (person sized) inside.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Grizzly, Liebert probably has something. Can you maintain the needed conditions in the space that houses the chamber, or is it in a huge hall? Regards, CB

CB,
No, i can't condition the existing space. That would require renovation of the HVAC system for the building. I've checked with Liebert and they don't have anything small enough. The only thing I can think of is something that might be used by museums.

I wonder if I would even need to humidify. If the artifact will be sealed up, with the only porous surface being the wood base then humidification/dehumidification might not be a concern.
Grizzly

Grizzly68
You do not state the conditions that are required. If you can tolerate 10 to15 degrees below your ambient (within limits) you might consider thermoelectric refrigeration.
That is solid state cooling (Peltier Effect). Very small refrigerators are on the market today using this technology. You might do the same using multiples.
Keeping the container sealed and back filled with nitrogen gas would reduce the moisture and refrigeration load. I am sure you do not want condensation forming on the inside or the outside of the container. Thermoelectric’s reduce the impact to your installation because you only need an electrical source. No piping, no condenser airflows, no chilled water to leak…

A google search Thermoelectric Refrigeration rendered over 6000 hits and a search; Peltier Effect came up with over 38,000.

More information would help us all to understand your needs

Good Luck

pennpoint

One shot and two birds, check with This is basically a dehumidifier which uses heat rejected by the refrigerating cycle to reactivate desiccant and air is cooled in the evaporator section.

Regards,

Eng-Tips.com : Solving your problems before you get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back