Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPA regulations of foreign-flagged offshore drill rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivymike

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
Hello,

Does anyone know how/whether epa regs are applied to foriegn-flagged drilling vessels? Is there a different answer depending on whether it's a jack-up rig, modu, semi-submersible, or drillship, etc?

I have a guy telling me that if a foreign-flagged rig (nonspecific) is moved to drill within epa-controlled space that it must be upgraded to tier-2 emissions levels - he has something to sell me - I've found that the answer is that foreign vessels are not reg'd, generally speaking:

EPA Marine Preamble: "Consistent with our current program, the marine engine standards we are finalizing will not apply to marine diesel engines installed on foreign vessels."

...but I'm told that if a rig stays in US territorial waters for more than 12 months, it must meet EPA regs? Is that because the engines onboard become "stationary" diesels at that point, subject to EPAs CI-NSPS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back