Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EPAnet Pressure Reducing valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

swazimatt

Civil/Environmental
Aug 19, 2009
NZ
I am trying to model a pressure control valve in epanet but cannot seem to get the PRV setting to work. My network is supplied from a single location but there are two plateaus, the upper one is fine, but the lower one would have pressure too high for residential use so i need to reduce the pressure between them. If i set the incoming pressure at 30m head at the connection to the lower plateau it works, but i cannot get the PRV to work as a PRV in epanet

I thought i would just have to set the pressure on the downstream side (30m)(use PRV and under setting enter 30m, this is what the user manual has) but it doesn't seem to work or make any change unless i reduce the valve size which then just increases the headloss, which changes as i increase the flow. If i change the setting number the pressures downstream still only reduce by the same amount, only if i change the diameter does the head loss change (again fluctuates with flow and velocity changes)

I have managed to get around it by closing the pipe that connects the upper network with the lower network and have added a reservoir with elevation set 30m higher, effectively setting the desired downstream pressure that i would get from a PRV, but this is a bit of a hack, I still need to make sure my main delivery is sized correctly. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have worked it out. the setting is correct, but you need to make sure the "Fixed Status" is set to "None", not "open"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back