Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EPANET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLH Eng

Civil/Environmental
Jul 6, 2021
US
I have a very basic question about how to model flow and pressure data from a fire hydrant flow test in EPANET. I've seen several people say they model it as a reservoir and pump, but I'm unsure which flow test data to use to model it as a pump.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How I would do it
Build the model without the fire flow, verify it matches normal operations.

At the node with the fire hydrant insert a flow equal to the desired flow and the system will calculate the pressure. Compare that to test data.

Hydrae

If you were to open a hydrant it would (spill all over the street) be modelled as going to an infinite reservoir at the elevation of the hydrant. If you connect a pumper truck it would (water down buildings on fire) be modelled as a pump at the elevation of the fire truck and an infinite reservoir at the elevation of the fireman holding the hose.

Typically you are not going to have the whole distribution system in your model, just a localized version in the vicinity of your project, so you use the Flow Test data to set the Pump Curve for the Reservoir/Pump that you use in the model to simulate the distribution system feeding your area. Flow test data should give you static pressure (at zero flow) that is 1 point on the pump curve, P residual at Q flowed for the test as 2nd point on the pump curve, and Calculated/Estimated Available flow usually at 20 psi residual as the 3rd point for the pump curve. That way the reservoir/pump in your localized model is reacting like the distribution system did in the flow test.

#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back