Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPDM Material shrinkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaqc1

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
US
Has anybody ever experienced shrinkage in EPDM material. We have gaskets made of EPDM. The cross-section of the gaskets is "C" shaped & they are circular. We have observed over a period of time the diameter shrinks by about 2% over six months.
Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all,

there could be two possible reasons to consider:

- loss of plastiziser, which is quite often lots of paraffinic oil in EPDM - check if there is also a weight loss after the 6 months ?

- frozen cristallinity - from ethylene segments - which relax over a long time. Heat a new gasket up to >130 °C for a short time - some minutes - and let it cool down slowly to room temp. If the shrinking occurs then, ask your supplier to use another EPDM - with less ethylene - and/or to deliver the material after the described "postcuring" process with the requested size.

Let me know about your results !!!

Berti

Thank you "Berti" for the information. I am not sure if I will be able to reply to you immediately on the results.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back