Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

epoxy grout on concrete foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

layloban

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a question on the strength of epoxy grout on rotating equipment. The strength of the epoxy grout that we use on the rotating equipment is about 10000 psi and the concrete foundation is about 5000 psi. In this case, why does it need to use 10000 psi epoxy grout? If vibration is an issue wouldn't the concrete foundation break anyways? Say 10000psi grout is required for this piece of equipment, if so shouldn't the concrete foundation match the strength of the grout?

Thanks in advenace.

DL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Th grout is there to provide a continuous, solid bearing surface for equipment. I can't think of too many places where its strength is very important. The type of grout is more a function of ease of installation or workability than its strength.
However, I would use a nonshrink grout. Pure sand/cement grout might shrink away from the equipment base plate and you'll lose that solid bearing surface. Epoxy grout has minimal shrinkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back