Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy Polyester Hybrid Powder Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdehoyos1

Chemical
Jun 29, 2004
US
I need to remove the powder coating (Epoxy Polyester Hybrid) on some machined parts in order to expose the original markings and etchings.
What would be the most ideal solvent (safety and efficiency in mind)to completely remove the coating?

Thank you very much in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try baking it off at high temperature if the metal can stand up to it or try getting it shotblasted. We do both every day on tanks and fenders and frames for motorcycles. All have a powder coating finish.

jdehoyos1

There are a number of chemical paint strippers on the market that do this. Most of them take between 1 and 4 hours to remove the powder coating. I have recently and accidentally come across a new supplier in the industry that has a product that removes epoxy, acrylic and/or polyester powder coatings in about 20 minutes.

I don't know how to direct you to them without making this an advertisement for them. They don't have a website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back