Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy tank level sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzp

Electrical
Nov 21, 2001
US
I am looking for an electronic sensor to measure the tank level containing a resin material and a catalyst material for two part epoxy. I am sure the face of this sensor will get material on it and may dry over time. How does this affect the accuracy of a capacitive, or ultrasonic sensor? Surely, there must be something to use in this case. I would prefer not to use load cell technology given the installation and set-up costs. However, I would like something that is just as accurate. Maybe pressure is the parameter to monitor? How would these types of sensors work with this material? What about a flowmeter that feeds some electronics to calculate how much material has left the tank. This could be reset each time the tank is filled. Anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at lots of different sensors and have not found one yet that I feel comfortable in using. Any help would be appreciated. These tanks are about 10' tall with a conical bottom and have a diameter of around 4-5'.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a non-contact device, such as a Radar level sensor mounted on the tank top. Or a radio isotope sensor measuring the level from outside the tank.
Regards
Sajid Ali Khan

Why not try using an ultrasonic transducer to measure the height of the surface of the resin. This could then be mounted in the top of the tank away from any material. There are many types available.

cpretty,
we currently use an ultrasonic sensor but has the material is heated and cooled over the course of a month or so, the material builds up and hardens to the point of getting no echo on an ultrasonic sensor. Thank you.

If the utrasonic sensor works well, why not find a way to isolate it to prevent the build up? Can you direct a compressed air source to keep the sensor area clean to prevent build up? Or switch to a radar unit and direct the radar through a lens (glass, or other material) mounted between the sensor and the tank atmosphere.

I am still looking into those types of sensors. The tanks are pressurized to arounf 70 psi. I hate the thought of having compressed air blowing on the sensor. I will consider this though. Thank you for the suggestions.

How about a standart dp xmitter with the high side on the tank flange mount like 3 or 4 ". you may have to get one with a higher range because of the weight of the epoxy.

good luck,joe

Tanks are made of steel. I am going to use sensors from Drexelbrook. They were kind enough to test materials after I sent them to them. Thanks for all the help.

As a layman in this area (since I am A Surveyor - Geomaticist) I can suggest: albeit a bit late in chipping in but instead of ultrasonic sensors I could suggest using or adapting a laser distancer such as the Leica Disto - This can be mounted and electronically wired to give depths. It depends on the reflection of light off the material being monitored.

Have you looked at the Magnetrol Eclipse standing wave radar units?
We use them in a charged ecoat system that has a lot of build-up On a 14 foot range, the error was less than 2" over a year. During annual turnaround, we then clean and re calibrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back