Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equalization Basin for Sanitary Sewer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichKeller

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2005
US
I'm designing a sanitary sewer for a special event complex (high flow sometimes, alomost no flow other times). It will probably require equalization and well as a lift station. Anyone have guidance/reference on equalization basin design and acceptable retention times for sanitary wastes (including aeration requirements versus detention time). Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This information is detailed very well in Section 9-4 Equalization in the book, Wastewater Engineering by Metcalf & Eddy.

Size volume to include I&I during wet weather conditions. I would use max hourly inflow for the facility you've described, but you might be able to justify max daily.

Detention time: 10-30 minutes during design inflow, depending on length of force main; can be longer with odor control provisions, but these are very costly and have huge O&M ramifications.

Aeration: Min. 1.25 scfm / 1k gallons storage AND min. of 1 mg/L at standard air conditions.

Don't forget to budget Explosion Proof (Div 1) electrical for anything (even control voltage) within storage volume. Also, check local code, you may also need Div 1 within a given proximity outside storage as well. That is a big-ticket item that is often overlooked...I blew my first design job's budget on that one!

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

you will find this type of installation at sporting arenas and holiday camps. Suggest you visit a few. The Olympics in Sydney provided such a challenge. Usually the details are provided on the web as these were very publicity orientated affairs. The proponents invariably sought recognition by peer group bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back