Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Equations of this kinematic system for Theory of Machines subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kajukaa

Student
Mar 22, 2024
PL
Hello everybody,

I need to write all the equations for each component for this kinematic system. Then, I will need to calculate velocity, acceleration and displacement.

Would you be able to help?

unnamed_nhyiyr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for a given omega, you can define the point (the center of the small block) in terms of r, phi, and omega and omega-dot.

vector "j" is a bit tricky, but you should be able to determine the mag and arg of the vector.

the orientation of the block is a little tricky.

i assume point "d" is limited to vertical motion.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Hello rb1957, actually I realized I haven't even given the assumptions and parameters of the system. Let me share with you, in case it would help you and me so solve them:

syst1_x2ssia.png

syst-parameter_jfo3vj.png

equations of motion describe how the parts of the system move/change as some governing input changes, like y = f(x). here the governing input should be the angle "phi" and omega (omega can't be constant, unless the arm rotates 360 degrees. It can have a momentary value, but for me the position and motion of "B" should be determined by phi and omega. For example, the length of "3" is R+h when phi = 0 and something less as phi increases (when phi = 30deg, L3 = sqrt((R*cos 30)^3+(h +R*sin30)^2) ... yes ?

and D is at R+a+b when phi = 0

clear as mud ?

have you tried solving easier problems first ?

have you read (and understood) the text ?

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Hello rb1957,

Sorry I'm a beginner in theory of machines. In this case omega w is given as constant which means the arm rotates 360 degrees (angular velocity is const.). In order to calculate position and motion of B, I though angular velocity as first would be calculated as w(omega) = r x phi ? I'm trying to solve easier ones now before I move to this one.

no ... omega is really phi_dot. phi and r give you the cartesian co-ords of the end of the radius, pt B ?

does B slide along 0-C ?
is "a" the length of the slider, or is "a" a fixed length between B and C ?

ok, you're a beginner, fine, we all start at square 0. What have you read about mechanisms ?
don't expect we (well, me) will post the answer to the problem, that IMHO doesn't help you learn.

if omega is constant then the radius rotates about 0 and you can determine the co-ords of the end of the radius as a function of time. As you know, the end of the radius moves with a speed of omega*r. As the end of the radius moves, how does length 3 change ? look at some "obvious" positions, run excel with many values of phi. how long does it take for phi to change by 1 degree ? plot the results, some patterns may become visible. how does pt C and D move ?

GL

Are you solving this graphically using velocity diagrams - in which case i can't remember anything, or by geometry?

If the latter

Get the position of B as a function of phi
get the position of C as a function of the position of B
get the position of D as a function of the position of C

None of that is anything more than basic trig.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hello Greg, I need to solve them graphically using the diagrams of velocity, displacement and acceleration in python. So, in reality I should write all the equations to solve the current state of the system and then make it possible for other values to work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back