Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Equipment Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattimelt

Industrial
May 12, 2010
US
My 3rd party surveyor did not have a current calibration for the TOPCON total station he used during site layout. He did a daily check of the unit on benchmarks provided by the client. I am used to having a certificate of calibration for these units on other jobs, but am wondering if this is something site specific or is there a national standard? I looked in NIST, ALTA, USC&DS, ASME and a few other acronyms but it seems vague. Anyone know? I don't want to waste any more time chasing a ghost, but I also don't want to come to the end of the job and have the work rejected due to lack of a piece of paper. I have called for the contract but don't have it in hand yet. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surveying is a critical measurement. While it is not likely to be off as a result of not having a current calibration, you have several considerations to make if you are in a role that is responsible for the subconsulting surveyor....

1. In the event of an issue (let's say the boundary survey is off and the property line is not properly defined), if it is found later and becomes an issue, you and your firm will be responsible as you engaged the surveyor. Further, if it becomes known that you asked for the calibration and did not receive it, but just acquiessed to the lack of response, then you might be considered negligent in your practice. All of these create liability on your part.

2. Demand the calibration! It is a part of doing business for the surveyor and should be routine.

In my business, we used equipment that must be calibrated periodically. We get it done. Yes, it costs money. Yes, it is a pain in the butt to do it and keep up with the admin....but we have to do it. If I'm in a deposition and the lawyer on the other side says...."Did you calibrate your equipment before it was used to take this critical measurement?" Anything less than "yes", negates my credibility and potentially increases my liability.

Thanks, Ron. Due to lack of cooperation on the part of the surveyor, I have brought in another surveyor who DOES have calibrated equipment to reshoot the points/verify the points. Everything did match, but I have the documentation to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back