Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equipment Housing in Floodplain Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atphelan

Civil/Environmental
Jul 17, 2015
US
We are working on a project for gated railroad signals in a floodplain. The ground elevation is 10 and the floodplain (AE) is at 19. Will we be required to raise the electrical equipment housing (6'x6' aluminum structure)? Does anyone know where to find any regulations on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you haven't, ask the railroad - I assume you'll be needing their signoff of your design. They should be able to tell you all that applies. Having never done railroad infrastructure permitting/design, I'm not sure what else would be applicable, but I would check federal/state requirements for transportation safety, electrical codes, etc...

I hesitate to ask, but if the flood waters are deep enough to flood these enclosures, would it be likely that a train would be coming through there? [wink] I don't know the codes governing this, but logic alone would imply that in this case the enclosures should at least be higher than the roadbed elevation. Good luck with your research.
Dave

Thaidavid

it is not unusual for a railroad to run through a floodplain. the tracks are elevated. water passes through trestles. equipment, especially electrical should probably be above the 100-year level which is probably well below the roadbed elevation. otherwise, you run the risk of serious issues when the equipment gets flooded. you might need a floodplain use permit or a CLOMR if you place fill and structures in a floodplain

These regulations will typically be local (or as mentioned - specs by the railroad).

(FEMA puts out model regulations for local jusridictions to use as a guide. If the local regulations do not comply with FEMA requirements, the local body does not get FEMA subsidies.)

Our county code simply states

"All subdivision and development proposals shall have utilities and facilities such as sewer, gas, electrical, and water systems located and constructed to minimize flood damage."

and

"Dry floodproofing requirements. Dry floodproofed structures, together with attendant utility and sanitary facilities, shall:
(a) Be designed to be dry floodproofed such that the structure is watertight with walls and floors substantially impermeable to the passage of water to the level of the base flood elevation. In areas of shallow flooding (Zone AO), the structure shall be dry floodproofed at least as high above the highest adjacent grade as the depth number specified in feet on the Flood Insurance Rate Map or at least two feet if a depth number is not specified.
(b) Have structural components capable of resisting hydrostatic and hydrodynamic loads and effects of buoyancy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back