Equivalence between SFS and ASME / ASTM standards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakkkko

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2011
US
Dear Forum,
I already asked for equivalence for some piping class specifications, and got some answers. Thanks!
But I still have to solve pendent equivalence between SFS & ASME/ASTM Standard for the following.

For vinyl ester bisfenol:
Pipe: SFS 5166
Elbow: SFS 5167/65
Tee: SFS 5169/65
Reducer: SFS 5168/65
Stub end: SFS 5174/65

Thank in advance,
Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drakkkko,

You're not too far from the truth. Assuming that the vinyl ester biphenol is a form of GRE, there are some american standards - search B 31.3 for "glass", but essentialy the GRE / fibre glass industry was seen as a water based thing and not oil and gas, however 31.3 did cover this and other non metallic piping in a performence standard sort of way..search the astm website below starting with D4024 and D5685 and you may find some equivalents.

If I was you I would use the ISO 14692 pts 1 to 4, set of standards.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

As a general thumb of rule Scandinavian newer national standards are not 'invented' separately in one country only, but would be equal to European (EN) or similar standards for other countries (Swedish?)

Are you sure theese are the latest and completly completly/correctly named standards, and not similar to other standards from other countries more easily to be recognised and compared to US standards?

Does standard A say it is equivalent to standard B, and vice versa, in the text? If not, what governing body would state that A is equivalent to B? For the purpose of this discussion, would submitting a material test report with standard A be acceptable when the industry standard and/or customer purchase order specified the "equivalent" standard B only?

My take has always been there is no such thing as equivalent, only dual certified. Don't think I am alone, but now I am curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back