Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equivalent Length of Socket Welded Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2008

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2008
CA
I'm looking for equivalent lengths of socket welded fittings. Below I have found a pdf that is very useful, although it only contains butt welded fittings.

Any sources or recommendations on what to use for straight pipe socket welded, and other fittings socketed welded?

I have a feeling that it would be negligable error if I use the butt welded fittings.

Is it typical to account for straight pipe to pipe that is welded as well?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get the Crane paper and use the factors for THREADED fittings. BW offer much gentler transitions in elbows and tees than are found in SW or threaded fittings.

The insertion length of a threaded pipe into its threaded fitting is, for all practical purposes, the same as the insertion length of a cut length of pipe into its socket-welded fitting (including the two fitup welding gaps inside the socket at each end.)

Give you pipe foreman the workpoint distances of each elbow, the centerline position of any instrument taps and all tees or Y connections, and the centerline position of any valves in the pipe.

Don't try to calculate and define the "cut length" of each pipe before installation on your drawing.

If I understand your question, it is not typical to account for pipe-to-pipe buttwelds in striahgt runs of pipe.

Fitting losses are so-called 'minor' losses. Whether they are minor or not depends on your system, but usually they are pretty small when compared to the loss in the straight pipe. So, the difference between socket weld vs buttweld loss is, IMO, going to be lost in the background noise of the problem especially if you have a lot of straight pipe. Engineering judgment is required to make the call when you can ignore the fittings loss. Depends on what you are trying to get out of the answer. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back