Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Erecting Steel Beams 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatapeach

Military
Jun 20, 2013
US
Can anyone provide me a code section that states how many bolts are required to be installed in beam holes during erecting of steel building? This is not a pre-engineered steel building. I was told by the contractor only 2 are required to be installed where 6 holes are located until all work is complete. No loads are imposed at this time only erection. I was under the impression it was 50%. I have looked in the AISC but could not find anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is based on the size of the bolt, the length of the span, the weight of the beam, etc. The idea is that there is only the beam self weight that must be resisted by the bolted connection at the time of erection. The engineer who designed the structure should be the one to determine the number of erection bolts required.

The number of bolts was determine by the engineer. I'm speaking of the number of bolts being installed prior to the contractor moving to another location. Of the 8 bolts required the contractor is only installing 2 prior to moving to another location. His argument is that he is purposely leaving the bolts out until he squares everything. This I understand but I think there is a code that tells you that 50% of the bolts must be installed prior to relocating to another beam. He will add the other 6 bolts after completing the erection of the steel in a grid line A to B then B to C.

Here is a link to OSHA's rule on beams: OSHA Rule 29 CFR 1926.756 Beams and columns

Here is the text:

[blue]General.
1926.756(a)(1)
During the final placing of solid web structural members, the load shall not be released from the hoisting line until the members are secured with at least two bolts per connection, of the same size and strength as shown in the erection drawings, drawn up wrench-tight or the equivalent as specified by the project structural engineer of record, except as specified in paragraph (b) of this section.

1926.756(a)(2)
A competent person shall determine if more than two bolts are necessary to ensure the stability of cantilevered members; if additional bolts are needed, they shall be installed.[/blue]

The minimum of two bolts is just that, the minimum even if it is a small, light weight member. Clearly, a heavy girder needs more than the minimum number of bolts if the weight of the member is greater than then two bolts can support. It also makes a difference depending on the type of connection i.e., seat connection, single shear connection, or knife connection where each bolt passes through two connection angles and the web of the beam so it is in double shear, and let's not forget the diameter and type of bolt must be considered.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back