Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Erroneously Snapping to Lines that don't exist (AutoCAD 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteriousDrX

Aerospace
Sep 14, 2011
GB
Today AutoCAD (2015) has started snapping to lines that don't exist (please see attached image).

The only OSnaps I don't use are Node, Quadrant, Insertion & Nearest. I don't usually use Apparent Intersection but it is currently on & all others are always turned on.

No, regen won't help, neither of the lines in the attached png are curves, they are very much straight lines.
No, I haven't zoomed in too far causing the graphics to jump out of alignment.
And lastly
No, there are no lines on other layers in the same general vicinity.

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening & (in an ideal world) a solution to my problem? I'm wasting so much time over this.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fb10ec69-73ae-450c-800a-fc7371fe39aa&file=Osnap_to_lines_that_don't_exist_1.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it happening in all drawings? Could you upload a small drawing with the problem - but if it's a glitch on your end we wouldn't see it.

Ok, this is only a couple of components, but it is still snapping to intersections that don't exist, so I think it'll do.

Two blocks, pick points should be in the same place, but I left them where they wanted to snap, that way even if it doesn't work on your computer, you can still see where it thought there was an intersection to snap to.

drawing is in 2013 format, can re-save in an earlier format if necessary.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7fbc265c-d6db-48f4-b66c-e02446be698c&file=Snapping_to_nonexistant_intersections.dwg
I also experience intersection snaps appearing where there is no intersection.

The problem is related to the objects being at very large coordinates, well over 1 million.
AutoCAD's calculations can't deal with the required accuracy for various things to work correctly; apparently some object snaps included.
If you move these objects closer to the origin, shouldn't have this error.

I rarely consider the location of the origin in AutoCAD & I've never had that problem before, but that does sound like a potential solution. I'll move everything closer & see what happens. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back