Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error after multiple restarts in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieljgalles

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2014
US
I'm running a standard/explicit co-simulation in ABAQUS. I've been having problems with excessive distortion at the co-simulation interface, so I'm trying to reduce my step size. Unfortunately, the co-simulation technique can only be used in one step for each analysis. So what I'm doing is breaking each time step into a separate analysis and using the *restart command for each time step. In other words, I have to restart my analysis for each new time step. As you might expect, I'll need to run many restarts (maybe hundreds). When I tried doing this, it seems to work fine for the first few restarts. Then, unexpectedly, it crashes on about the 45th restart. The only error I can see is in the .log file of the explicit analysis, which simply says "contact your local ABAQUS office". I began looking through the other files, and what I've noticed is that the .res (restart) file gets bigger with every restart (as I would expect it to). Because this seems to be the only file that is growing in size, I'm wondering if that is the problem. I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to correct this problem. Could there be an option I need to include in the environment file? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I'm not sure what's causing your problem but you can overwrite the previous restart file every time you write a new one as follows:

*Restart, write, frequency=1, overlay

Maybe that will help?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back