Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Attempt to Write to Freed Object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasey7

Mechanical
May 1, 2003
US
I upgraded to NX 7.5.3.3 from NX 7.5.2.5 a few days ago, and now I seem to be getting the error "Attempt to Write to Freed Object" when modifying a model quite a bit now.
I have never gotten it before, nor does it seem to be consistant. Example, I'll select a blend object midway in the Part Navigator tree and get the error. I'll immediately select the same blend object again, this time I won't get the error, and I can change my blend radius.

What's going on? [ponder]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okay, this is getting weird.

Now I'm getting the error "Null Tag Not Allowed" when I simply try select an edge to dimension. Another error I've never seen before.

If I close NX, then reopened it and seems to work fine.

Could this be my computer acting up?

This just gets better and better...
Now I can't even suppress features at the bottom of the part Navigator without getting "Suppress Feature: Attempt to write to freed object".

I'm going to try working at another computer and see if I get the same problems there.

Try rebooting your co0mputer, too.
I have found that after getting weird errors in NX, it is best to reboot and try it again. Could be something from another session has not cleaerd in memory.
I also recommend that my users reboot EVERY night when they leave so they start with cleared memory. Windows does not do a total clear of memory when you close an application so the reboot does this.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

And where did you get NX7.5.3.3 from, i dont see this patch in GTAC download area?
Could it be that you got a wrong update?

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

Sorry correction , there is a 7.5.3.

My apologies!

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

Michael,
I subscribed to the Software Field Bulletins notifications ( It seems to send out links to updates a few days (weeks?) before they appear in the regular GTAC download area.

John,
I'm trying to make sure I'm not having problems with my computer or the model before I notify anyone at GTAC.

Kasey,

I just submitted this same issue to GTAC on a file that was created in 7.5.2.5 and will not open in 7.5.3.3. The same file will open on an identical machine running 7.5.2.5 without incident. I suspect that the problem is in 7.5.3.3 and I'll let you know what I find out.

~Kevin

Looks like the maintenance pack for NX-7.5.3 released 2011-04-29 has fixed the "Attempt to Write to Freed Object" glitch. I've been using NX for quite awhile now and the error hasn't popped up.
Although I was getting the error when editing older models in NX7.5, and the readme file accompanying the MP states the error occurred in Drafting, ("The problem in Drafting where Feature Playback caused the error "Attempt to write to freed object" is fixed."), it seems to be fixed in Modeling as well.
I may have had an associated drafting files open in the background when editing models, giving me the error.

I also have this problem on 4 similar machines (64-bit) running 7.5.3.3 with the problem occuring in model files, but only if the draft file is also open in the background and also when using the latest drivers for our FX1500 graphics cards. We had intermittent crashes (NX closes without warning) with the old driver, which appears to have been fixed by the new driver. Unfortunetly we now have 2 new problems, first the "Attempt to write to freed object" error and secondly when you move your curser over odjects it no longer highlights them. Both of these go away when rolling back to the old driver.

2 newer 64-bit machines don't have the problem. So we tried swapping one of their graphics cards (FX3700) into one of the problem machines, which sorts the highlighting problem, but not the "Attempt to write to freed object" error.

I can't see the update patch you refer to Kasey7? There is the 7.5.3.3 mainataince pack, which is dated 2011-05-02. This is odd, because we downloaded and installed it in March - could they have updated it without changing the release number?

I think they re-released the maintance pack a few days later (2011-05-02 in the ftp) simply because there was a typo in the readme file; "Version NX 7.5.3.3 must be installed ..." used to read "Version NX 7.5.3.5 must be installed ...". Version 7.5.3.3 was the highest version at the time.
In any event, the maintenance pack NX 7.5.3.3.mp01 is the one I used. BTW, installing the maintance pack will NOT change the NX version in Help > About NX. It still reads NX 7.5.3.3. To be sure you have the mantainance pack installed you need to check the NX Log file (Help > NX Log File). There you should find "NX 7.5.3.3 MP1, 20Apr11." not too far from the top.

Yep I found it and installed it, sorts out the "Attempt to write to freed object" error, which allows me to upgrade the driver to sort the crash problem. Unfortunately I am still left with the problem that edges do not highlight when you more the curser over them, but its the lesser of the 3 problems.

Mighty confusing that there is an update with the same number version we are already on, as you say makes it much harder to check that everyone has the correct update. Also disappointing that I had to come to this thread to find out about the update rather than being told by Siemens, despite them investigating the problem.

Thanks for your help.

RML1 said:
Also disappointing that I had to come to this thread to find out about the update rather than being told by Siemens, despite them investigating the problem.

Did GTAC actually open a PR for you on this issue? If not, then there is NO automatic mechanism to notify you of the MP release, other than you checking for the field bulletins. Also note that MP's are what some people refer to as 'software patches' and as such, they do NOT increment the Maintenance level of a release, which can only be done by a full Maintenance Release or MR.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for the link.

I have had several IR numbers open with Siemens (via our reseller) going back several months now. Because the original crash was so intermittent once they have suggested something they close the case and then it gets re-opened when the problem comes up again. It seams to be more difficult because our computers were built by our IT company and are not a name brand.

Anyway, fingers crossed we seam to have got rid of the worst problems.

If they have only opened IR's that will not trigger an automatic notification. Also, since you're going through a distributor, it's possible that they are opening any IR's/PR's in THEIR name and not yours, which once again will not trigger an automatic notice being mailed directly to you.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back