Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error/File checking tool for SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3sign3r

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2003
CA
Im having an issue with one of my 3D models in SW-06(sp4).
Im getting the "Unexpected file format" error message. The file was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason something happend overnight and it wont let me open.
Does SW have some sort of file checker tool to possibly scan this file and correct any errors? Or is there a tool somewhere on the net that i can download to do this task?
I know Autocad had a tool like this right in its 'File' pull down menu.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Unexpected File format", means your file is corrupt and you will need to send it to your VAR and then they can send it to SW for repair. It might have worked yesterday, but at sometime you might have crashed while saving it or just crashed working on it, if so then that can lead to corruption. Just because it was fine yesterday, doesn't mean the last time you saved it, it didn't corrupt on you. There is no fix for this but to send it to your VAR. SW has about 90% chance of repairing the file. the other 10% is due to Coding corruption and that is not repairable.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Couple of things to try:

1. Can you drag the file into another file like an assy?
2. Is there more than one configuration? In the file open dialogue, select one of the other configurations to open.
3. In the file open dialogue, check "Advanced" and try creating another empty configuration and open that one.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Thanks for your replies! :)
I tried several options like what Jason suggest, except i didn't try option 1 and 3. I will keep that in mind when/if it happens again.
I ended up just restoring yesterday's backup file and continued on my work. Luckly i only had made a few changes to it, so it only took me a few minutes to get back to where i was. I was just hoping there was some sort of recovery/fix tool out there to scan and fix any corrupt files.
SBaugh, does SW (or my VAR) charge money for sending them files to fix? How long does it usually take to get the files back? It good to know that they can do that sort of thing though.

Thanks again for your replies. :D

-Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back