Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error msg with Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxue

Bioengineer
Mar 26, 2009
IE
Hi guys,

I am trying to model a block containing a sphere under disp. load on the block. I've set up contact between the sphere and the surrounding surface from the block. I got the following error msg. Can anybody give me some advise?

***ERROR: THE NORMAL TO ELEMENT 1 INSTANCE SPHEREMEMBRANE-1 CANNOT BE CALCULATED. THE NODAL COORDINATES MAY BE INCORRECT OR THE ASPECT RATIO MAY EXCEED 1000 TO 1.

Thanks,
Feng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never dealt with a contact like this. But it appears that it will be a point contact and that may be leading to the problem.

Gurmeet

Gurmeet
Time is an illusion. Now is the only thing there is.

Thanks for your reply. When I re-checked my model yesterday, I found that it wasn't the contact that was causing the error but something else, most likely to be one of the "Tie" functions I used in the model. Does it make more sense? Any further hints based on that?

Thanks,

Feng

Do any steps converge? If so view the results you might have a node being yanked.

If not check your mesh with the mesh tools. You can sometimes mesh a part however the solid elements are basically planar. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back