Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ERV instead of HRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

econ2016

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2016
CA
I know 'if you use a heating system more often than air conditioning, you need an HRV. If you use the air conditioning more than a heating system, an ERV is recommended'.

But is it OK to use ERV for either heating season or for cooling season? Any reason for us to select ERV or HRV? The reason for cost or for any other reasons? If there is no difference regarding the cost, can I use ERV for any locations in cold or humid? Since ERV has more benefits: recover both the heat and the enthalpy.

Please let me know if I can use ERV all the time for my projects everywhere rather than HRV.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off ERV or HRV is only beneficial if you have large amount of exhaust such than large or 100% outdoor air is required. ERV or HRV would be the choice instead of glycol run around heat recovery coils if the exhaust discharge location can be made adjacent to outdoor air intake location. Use ERV if you need to recover latent heat. The latest ASHRAE Hospital HVAC Guideline do not allow use of ERV or HRV because of possible contamination of the outdoor air by the exhaust. There would be fan energy penalty for pressure drop through the ERV/HRV and upstream air filter to protect the ERV/HRV. Automatic controls and provisions should be provided t0 prevent overheating of AHU intake air and frosting on the ERV/HRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back