Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

escavation for above ground pool too close to garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matlark

Electrical
Feb 24, 2009
US
I had an above ground pool set up and the excavators dug out about 3 feet of earth about 3.5 feet from the corner of my garage. I am concerned it was dug too close to the slab of the garage which is part of the house. I will be backfilling to the pool but wanted to get opinions on whether there may be slab issues in the future. Any structural, civil eng, or anyone with thoughts would be appreciated. I uploaded a pic which hopefully is viewable.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where is the bottom of your footing relative to the bottom of the excavation?

It appears that your soil is fairly stable as the cut is vertical and holding. If your footing is a couple of feet below the existing ground level, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure when you backfill that you compact against the cut.

As a rule of thumb, the lateral soil stress levels are insignificant outside about twice the footing width.

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel a little better. Not sure about any footers I thought it was just a monolithic slab but I am not familiar with the codes in Kentucky. I would guess that the bottom of the excavation for the pool is below any footer or the slab, the soil in kentucky is very rocky if that helps.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back