Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Estimated annual salary of mechanical engineers with three years of experience in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBSME

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2014
US
Hello All,

can you tell me what will be the estimate salary of a mechanical engineer with three years of experience in California?
I have 3 years of experience in high pressure pipe and tank design ( stress analysis). I have a feeling I should find a better job to increase my salary.
Also, what will be the increase in salary if I get PE license in mechanical engineering (thermal and fluids).
My second question is what will be the average salary of mechanical engineer with PE and BSME? in California.

Thanks all
wasim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If,in the same situation; after 3 years I would think first to consolidate my knowledge and skills ; money wise if I can content myself with the descent minimum I would certainly do. In the meantime If I get a certification it would be first to address that objective which is for knowledge sake.

When the experience is solid, say after 5 up to 8 years of work - I would probably think of doing some benchmarking to see where I stand in terms of salary and (maybe) seek for a better situation ;

That being said I fully respect how you set your own priorities, and of course your query is very respectable.

Point is just a matter of personal perspective. By targetting knowledge (say more than 8 years of truly recognized expertise in certain field) you are working out a procedural plan to take over the whole bank; no small steps of salary increase.

"If you want to acquire a knowledge or skill, read a book and practice the skill".

What are YOUR restrictions on YOUR income?

Space? Aerodynamics or exotic? Computer boards fabrication pressure vessels and cleanliness? Oil and gas? Chemical, refinery, medicine, and exotic alloys and pressures, or straight steel PV mods?

Moving out of CA will increase your take-home by 20-35%, and make your housing costs 2/3 ot 50% less per month. Commute probably lower too. Moving to TX eliminates state income tax.

Going to Calgary requires a weather sacrifice, but you may like the cows better.
Moving to Houston requires a weather sacrifice too, but you may like the cows better.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

What If I have only 3 years of experience and I get a PE license? I mean how would you compare a PE certificate with years of experience? Will the employer prefer to hire someone with 3 years of experience + PE license or hire a person with 5 years of experience and no PE license?

Can you even GET a PE with only 3 years experience?!

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

You said only to take the PE exam, this doesn't always correlate to the experience required to be licensed. For example, Maine just changed their rules so that you can take the PE exam early as well. However, you are still required to get 4 years experience under a PE before you can get your PE license.

Maine Professional and Structural Engineer.
(Just passed the 16-hour SE exam, woohoo!)

Check your state's PE board website, it should list the requirements for getting your PE license. Typically the process goes like this:

-Take and pass the FE exam.
-Get X years experience as a EIT under a PE.
-Submit application to sit for the PE exam (often this is also an application for licensure after passing the PE exam, this could be the source of your confusion).
-Take and pass the PE exam.
-NCEES reports your passing score to the state PE board.
-State board approves your score and reports that you passed.
-They will then inform you of the remaining requirements to become licensed, if you already have the years of experience required then typically this is just a fee. However, for states where you can take the PE exam prior to having the required years (typically 4) for a PE license, then I imagine they require you wait and submit further documentation.

Again, check with you local state PE board for the actual requirements. You may be correct that they require less than 4 years but I don't know of states that do that off the top of my head. Don't be afraid to email the board representative if you have a question you can't find an answer to. They're usually quite helpful.

Just saw your title said you were in California. As best I can tell CA requires 6 years experience (yikes!) to get a PE license.

Hmmm, interesting.

Anyway, back to your original question, my (extremely unscientific) impression is that you'll find that 6+ years is the magic number where you become more attractive to companies. However, you will likely be much more useful with PE license. If the industry you're in doesn't need a PE license then you might find that the 5+ years experience guy will get hired more than 3+ with a PE. But, if your field requires a PE license (or a PE license is valuable) then the reverse could be true.

Either way, if it were up to me (it isn't), I wouldn't hire someone with only 3 years experience unless it was an entry level position. PE would be nice but someone with 3 years experience shouldn't be stamping drawings in my opinion.

While targeted surveys may be better there are also websites like [link salary.com]salary.com[/url] that give some idea, typically based on Radford salary survey or similar.

I'd advise taking what they say with a pinch of salt.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back