Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating Baghouse Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbertcountry2

Chemical
Sep 29, 2003
US
I have been reviewing some old documentation for environmental permitting at the facility I work. We use filter baghouses with forced draft to collect dust from unloading processes. The material is unloaded to the baghouse then is gravity fed from the baghouse through a rotary valve to the tankage below. The estimate for the particulate emissions uses a "98% of the material drops out due to velocity change and is not part of the baghouse loading". Has anyone ever heard of this? It seems likely that the filters will not have filter the entire loading as the solids will drop below, but I am unfamiliar with this usage, especially considering Potential to Emit Calculations.

Any thoughts?>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This gravity feature makes sense, but it will be the smaller particles that will not fall and the bag will be responsible for catching these. Your bag efficiency should be rated at this particle size, not for the bulk that doesn't even reach the bag. Does your permitting specify a particle size or just an ambiguous % efficiency?

Aaron A. Spearin
ASQ CSSBB
Engineering Six-S'$

"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Thanks for the replies. The baghouse in the case described is really part of the process, but it is considered an Air pollution control device to keep particulate from escaping to the ambient air. There is an airlock below that allows the material to be removed from the baghouse.

My new application would be for dust collection only. But I am trying to understand all cases.

The permitting for bag houses has been assumed as an ambiguous %, but I believe, since we are only regulated on PM10, that it should only be applicable to particles 10 microns or less.

You have got me really thinking now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back