Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating/modelling catchment discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjc

Dec 1, 2012
GB
Hi there,

Sorry this is a really vague question but i figure it's worth putting my query out there.

I am tasked with assessing hydro power feasibility for a tropical rainforest region, however my background in hydrology is rather minimal. What I am hoping for from this forum is some pointers towards either specific models, methods, data sources, or literature that i should focus my research on so that i may really impress my new employer with some fast and excellent results!!! Basically anything you are aware of that might help, or what would be your first thoughts as a hydrologist faced with the brief? The reason I feel justified to ask such a audacious question is that I know what it like facing a large new subject; you spend a long time poking around in the dark, then when your research is complete you realise how easy it really is with the correct focus!

The problem: tropical rainforest region with very little hydrological data available. My assignment is to provide a strategic view of the potential of the region for which a reasonable estimate of base flow discharge is required for each catchment area, other constraints and cost factors are trivial. I assume that geological remote sensing data and topological GIS data will be available. I also assume that satellite and radar data is available to provide some idea of precipitation and vegetation. If not i'm sure there are global precipitation models could be used. There is likely to be some hydrograph and rainfall data available for a few locations which may provide some means of spatial extrapolation but the region is known to have particularly high variance of rainfall over small distances.

Thanks for reading, it's going to be fun project!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back