Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating water demand for a Metro Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Foda

Civil/Environmental
Oct 23, 2016
EG
Hi dears,
Does anyone have a reference or guidelines that I can use to estimate the average daily domestic water demand of a Metro Station? I believe this should be a function of the number of passengers using the station per day or maximum capacity of the station. I searched the internet a lot but didn't find any reference.
Thanks,
R. Foda

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All I know is that the capacity of the plumbing is based on a code which assumes most of the water outlets are being used at the same time. The actual demand is a lot less than that. Average demand is typically on a per person basis for the entire population served by the distribution system.

There is a couple of ways to attack this if you cannot find a direct reference.

Are there references for similar facilities such as airports or transit centres that might be used to provide guidance.

The other way may be to start looking at the functions of the Metro station , such as retail , restauraunt , entertainment , baggage handling, public facilities etc and use existing references for them, and put the individual demands together.

The number of employees on site may also be a starting point for consideration.

Data from similar facilities elsewhere may be available if you ask.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Your project design document should include a basis of design.

There are many factors to consider. Modern fixtures use much less water than in the past. The location of the metro and the estimated number of riders also will vary widely. Does the station have food concessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back