Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABS - Crack Widths in Slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinaPeugeot

Structural
May 30, 2010
AU
Hi,

I've been recently exploring ETABS slab design features (only available in the Ultimate edition). Both Slab Design (for strength checks), and Cracked Floor Analysis (for service checks including cracked and long-term deflections) are rather good in my opinion if you know what you're doing.

My question is about estimating crack widths in slabs. ETABS has the option of 'Displaying Crack Width' as a part of its slab design procedure. It uses Eurocode 4 Clause 7.3.4 for estimating the crack widths which is reasonable. However, to do this, the software would need to know the reinforcement detail in the slab. But it's not clear where ETABS is getting the rebar details for the slab. I couldn't also find anything for the crack width calculations in the documentation or other forums. Note that I'm not talking about the rebar details used in the cracked floor analysis (which is well-documented), but rather specifically talking about the reinforcement used in the Crack Width visualization module (see attached).

Would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0ab2bd35-6e3b-4720-bf37-75fbb2367828&file=1.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back