Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABS for Gravity loading and Foundation reactoin

Status
Not open for further replies.

inju

Structural
Oct 18, 2006
US
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to model
a steel frame on ETABS only for gravity loading and estimating foundation reaction. (no lateral force)

The structure is:
-1 storey steel frame (high and low roofing)
-roof joist and deck system

I modelled the structure as:
- all beams & joists = pin-pin
- columns = cantilever gravity columns
running the model this way generates a number of errors and to termination of analysis.

I will be requesting techincal support on this issue from CSI. But, i will appreciate your help.

Thanks
Inju

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i know your cantelever columns are fixed at the bottom(for steel, pin support is default), right? take time in removing warnings and errors its part of life in ETABS.

numerous errors indicate that there are shortcomings in your model...you are apparently a beginner...ytr going to CSI website and use watch and learn for ETABS...I hope that helps..

Inju

Could you please look at the filename.$og file in the run folder. Just check the part "Percentage of Error"Global Force Balance, which will give you fair idea on Print Static/Dynamic check.

Or
Look at the deformed shape, whether it makes any sense?

or

Look at the mode shapes, if you are asked for it, it may also give some indication

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back