Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABS general question for experts 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar2805

Structural
Dec 21, 2008
HR
Hi people!
Just few questions for you ETABS users.
What is the general workflow when designing slabs and foundation in ETABS?
Do you need to have SAFE in order to design plate elements or not?
I dont understand why would someone just buy SAFE and not ETABS?
Do you need to have SAFE if you are using ETABS for you building design?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi mar2805. I am using both etabs and safe. first a run etabs and export the floor level i need to design my slab and export it to Safe. Safe can give you the reinforcement at once after you've done the things to be done to make your Safe model work properly.

Design of slabs in Etabs can also be done but you have to calculate the amount of reinforcement manually after you have obtained the moment forces from Etabs results and checked for shear stresses.

Dan, thanx for your previous answer.
So in ETABS you can get sectional forces of plate elements (mainly bending moments) but you cannot design the slab and calculate necesary reinforcement?
Does same thing gore for shear walls?

Happy New Year!

in shearwalls, Etabs software gives immediately the amount of horizontal and vertical reinforcements after assigning your pier and spandrel elements to the walls and running the shear wall design.

But not for plates?
Ill have to export my model to SAFE to calculate amount of horizontal reinforcements, correct?

I follow the following way to design walls and slabs in combination with ETABS:
1. Carry out the analysis in ETABS and get the calculated element forces at critical locations
2. CSI suggested me that software here which can carry out the check and design of any cross section

In any way I think that an external tool or even a spreadsheet are necessary to complete the design phase using ETABS.

Regards,
Gigi

mar2805,

ETABS has built-in steel and concrete frame design, as well as concrete shear wall design. Slab or foundation design is not handled in ETABS, but rather in SAFE. That said, you can still extract slab/foundation forces/moments from ETABS to perform a design manually.

Please note, I'm pretty sure CSI has not suggested the software that johnbridge231 linked to in his post. He is associated with that software and has removed his normal signature that indicates his association. Check his posts in other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back