Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ETABS: Non-linear Links in place of steel connections for wooden frame structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmain123

Structural
Jun 6, 2016
CA
Hello everyone,

I am currently attempting to use links/support elements in ETABS to model a non-linear steel connection attached to a wooden column that undergoes ASTM-CUREE Protocol time-history.

I am using a Multi-linear Plastic link with the PIVOT hysteresis behavior. I have inputted the proper backbone for the link.The link has non-linear properties in the axial and perpendicular directions (x and z)

When I run the analysis after I have defined my load cases, time history, and mass sources my hysteretic diagram produced for the link does not resemble a logical response.

A couple problems that I believe could be the issue are; I can not define a zero length support properly (I am just using a small link 10mm), the CUREE Protocol is defined in percent yield displacement so I would have to have a load pattern that is displacement based, which I have been unable to figure out (I can only create a load pattern that is force based at the top of the column), and/or I am not defining the behavior of the link's joint-i and joint-j properly.

I seem to be having a lot of issues with the links as the only detailed information I can find comes from the CSI: Analysis Reference Manual.

If anyone knows the solution to my problem or can supply some video tutorials using links with time-history analysis much would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back