Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethanol recycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridge2481

Petroleum
Sep 23, 2004
US
Hello:

I have a process that generates ethanol concentration varying from (90 to 98 % v/v). I would like to recycle this i.e., to use it at lower concentrations such as 80,70 % v/v etc. Can any one suggest suitable procedure to achieve this such that the purity of ethanol is retained. My original ethanol is 200 proof. Any advise on this regard is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

RW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ridge2481
We need a lot more information than what you are giving us to help you.
What is the orriginal process?
What are the contaminants in the used ethanol?
What are you going to use the recycled ethanol for?
What have you tried already?

Good luck
StoneCold

This description doesn’t make much sense from a processing or Unit Operations point of view. A detailed description with basic data is needed to respond with anything of worth:

1) Recycling 98 % (vol) has nothing to do with dilution; you either recycle or you don’t. It might produce a dilution of the recycled stream further upstream, but who’s to know if we aren’t told any details as to what the process is and what is involved?
2) If you want to dilute the recycled 98% (vol) stream, then add a diluent to that stream. It is that simple.
3) You state that you want to achieve dilution (“at lower concentration”) but yet “retain” the ethanol purity (concentration). This is totally contradictory. Just what is it that you want to do – dilute or increase the ethanol concentration?
4) Why do you employ the term “proof” to ethanol? I understand that 200 “proof” is essentially 100%(vol) concentration; why not just state it as such and not confuse anyone? “Proof” is a term used for drinking alcohol or “spirits”. Is this what is involved?

Basically, I believe you are trying to dilute absolute (100%) ethanol alcohol down to a lower concentration. But I don’t see how anyone can decipher what you are using or how you are trying to bring it about. Can you please be specific and detailed in your description so that we can attempt to help?

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Dear All:

Thanks for your response. I apologize for not providing sufficient information.

1)I have a pervaporation unit from which I collect concentrated ethanol. This is a lab scale unit.

2)I use 90% v/v ethanol as my feed. The retentate that I collect is concentrated ethanol, which I would like to use it again as 90% feed.

My objective is to use a standard procedure to dilute my concentrated ethanol (from the retentate stream) only to be reused again as the feed.

I mentioned 200 proof only to inform the grade of ethanol, I was using. I am sorry if that information was confusing.

Thanks in advance
RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back