Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethernet for starters on MCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

data74

Industrial
Feb 3, 2010
AU
Does anyone out there know of any installations that have succesfully implemented and ethernet based control system for MCC's. I am looking at options of implementing a system with 100 11kW motor starters and get rid of control wiring????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try contacting the vendors of the ethernet based starters. They usually have customers that are willing to discuss or even show you their installations.

A little Googling of "smart motor starters" and/or "intelligent MCCs" should turn up a lot of information.

You do have address the safety aspects of a fly-by-wire system. Having a hard-wired way to turn something off can be very reassuring, especially if your control room operator is staring at a BSOD.

David Castor

I've seen a DeviceNet(?) installation, which ran good. If I remember correctly, only data was brought back and controls were hardwired. It's been a few years since I've seen it but that was the cleanest installation I've seen. They used FF on the field devices and ASi on the conveyors. I was envious of the engineer being able to play with all of that stuff. He had a forward thinking manager.

You can run Modbus over Ethernet, which allows redundancy and avoids having to have hardwired controls. (Should still have a hardwired ESD signal though).

When getting into decisions about adopting software communication to MCCs, make sure you scrutinise the vendor's communications architecture within the MCC as carefully as you do the communications architecture from the control system to the MCC suite.

I have seen projects go to great lengths to ensure true redundant fault tolerant communications from PCS to MCC with no single point of failure, only to accept pseudo-redundancy within the MCC comms architecture.

Rockwell (Allen Bradley) has a new Ethernet option for their Intelligent MCCs, but I don't know if they go to 11kV yet as a configured product (I do know they have OEM components to make Solid State Starters at that size). I'll check it out and let you know.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Rockwell goes to 10kV by the way.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back