Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ethylene Pumping Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Under Pressure

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2017
US
Hello, I am new to Eng Tips and was hoping to get some guidance regarding the pumping of ethylene. The fluid would enter the pump from a pipeline at suction pressure of 1600 psi and at 60-70F. My phase diagram shows that this fluid will be supercritical, which I recall, will have both liquid and gas characteristics. So here's my question: can I use a pump or do I need a compressor? If a pump can be used, what type of pump is needed and what special features would it have to have?

Thanks!
Under Pressure

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The critical temp for pure C2= is 48.4degF, so you can only have superheated gas at any pressure at a min temp of 60degF - so you'be looking at a compressor. What exit pressure are we looking at here ? Flow range also influences type of compressor.

So this would be a single stage compressor, since the pressure ratio is (1900+14.7)/(1600+14.7) = 1.2 which is well within the limits for a single stage. Whether this is a centrifugal or a recip machine will depend on the flow range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back