Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Eurocode 8 Designing - SAP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushan_adhikari

Structural
Nov 25, 2020
CN
Eurocode 8 quotes " Reinforcement in Compression Zone at critical section in Beam should not be less than the half of reinforcement provided at tension zone. " But while I do the concrete frame design by using EUROCODE the following is the result, where the reinforcement in compression zone is smaller? What may be the problem ?
a5e138688968714043cb2a0101e81d8_ab3i17.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Compare with the span reinforcement for sagging moment... Will you pls post the full statement in the EC -2 " Reinforcement in Compression Zone at critical section in Beam should not be less than the half of reinforcement provided at tension zone. "

Clause 5.4.3.1.2 Detailing for local ductility
Capture_mpaesr.png

Comparing with Span Moment the result in SAP are good. But to satisfy Eurocode demand, should we increase the area requirement?

5.4.3.1.2 Detailing for local ductility

a) at the compression zone reinforcement of not less than half of the reinforcement provided at the tension zone is placed, in addition to any compression reinforcement needed for the ULS verification of the beam in the seismic design situation.

I understand that, the compression reinforcement shall not be less than half of the reinforcement provided at the tension zone ( span reinforcement ) . That is, calculate the compression reinforcement acc. to ULS loading ,(including the stress reversal for seismic case ) and provide compression reinforcement which satisfy AT LEAST HALF OF THE TENSION REINFORCEMENT PROVIDED AT SPAN..

This is an old rule to provide at least half of the main bars specified at span should continue at supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back