Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Eurocode 8/EN 1998-1:2004 Seismic Design of Nonstructural Components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdw7410

Structural
Mar 4, 2024
US
Hi everyone, I was looking for help with the application of Eurocode 8 for the seismic design of non-structural components, specifically for things like MEP piping systems, equipment, and ductwork. Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm not too familiar with Eurocode 8 (EN 1998-1:2004), but have been doing seismic design for non-structural components for almost 20 years back to the UBC days. IBC/ASCE 7 Ch.13 has always been tremendously thorough with regard to not only the calculation methodology but also in terms of its application (i.e. exemptions based on pipe size, 6 sq. ft duct area, within 12" of structure), but Eurocode 8 seems to only address non-structural components as an afterthought in 4.3.5 Non-structural elements.

Should I take this to mean that there are effectively no exclusions and everything on a project that is not low seismicity per 3.2.1 (4) or 3.2.1 (5) requires seismic restraint? Even a 1/2" pipe or a 6" duct? Or is there another reference that I'm missing that's more applicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back