Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluating Existing Pavement for Digout Locations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydefan

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2004
US
I am a civil engineering working on a roadway rehabilitation project where we are coldmilling and overlaying 2" of pavement. We also need to indicate locations for digouts where there would be a full pavement section for areas that the coldmill/overlay wouldn't repair the pavement. My question is "How do you evaluate the existing pavement for these locations?" There are a lot of alligator cracks (some more severe than others) but I'm not sure if these will be fixed with the coldmill and overlay or if they are caused by base failures and will appear again in the future if the base is not fixed.

Are there any books or articles on methods to evalutate existing pavement?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi raydefan, the answer to your question is defendent on
what state or jurisdiction your in.The book your asking
Is Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction,
This is Issued by Your States DOT and most all consulting
firm who does Roads and Bridges has a copy,

So I beleive you got one in your place of work....

About the location of patched work I can't recommend
anything but that book will help you locate it....

Bring an experienced Pavement Engineer with you to mark out where the Full-Depth Patches are needed. Most of these types of jobs are financially constrained and the more patches you do the more it'll cost you. An experienced field guy/engineer will tell you which areas are of concern.

Heres a little site with pics:

There are a lot of resources on the web, but your local DOT might have a publication w/pics that you could use. I have seen one in our state that they passed out to the local RE's.

First you want to mark your spots to be repaired ( full depth ) before the planing operation. Once it is milled they will be hard to find. I know this may seem obvious....to some.
Base failures are usually pot holed or beginning to pot hole out, if you are not under traffic.. you can slowly follow a motorgrader ( watching the back wheels ) and see if you have any pumping or deflection in the pavement wheel paths. If the alligator cracks are crack sealed they may be OK.
When we do a "Mill and Inlay" it is usually under traffic and we do not apply a sealcoat, but if this area you are working on is not, I would recommend a seal coat before the new mix is placed.
Again, if you are under traffic, I would be AWARE that if it is milled and left for even just a few days it could start coming apart under traffic.
I hope this is understandable.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back