Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

evaluating large gold in samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

gone2china

Chemical
Aug 17, 2005
US
Most mining labs screen to minus 1/4 inch; we expect gold larger than this in our samples. Any idea of reputable labs who does such testing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SGS Lakefield Research? they have offices worldwide
wow! nice samples!

gone2china,
Yes indeed it must be nice... .
I suggest you run pairs. Check the literature (Schlitt, Rendu, Hartmann(ed.) come to mind).

For an international project, especially if you've got that nugget effect, run with labs on different continents as well as being with different firms. You may have to provide some significant backup down the road, courtesy of the Bre-X nonsense a few years back. Do a very good job of retaining splits or bulk 'pulps.'

The labs mentioned by ruble3 and jacare, and any in the professional mining & geology journals, will do just fine. Go the formal RFP route, checking qualifications and all. By the way, they, like everyone else, will knock the stuff down to run fire assays. Even if they go spectral(infrared), they'll still need to run some baselines with 'old-fashioned' fire assays.

If that's too much trouble, send them to me. I'll have time as soon as I finish re-reading Mark Twain and dismantling my thermostats. Honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back