Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaluation of ENERCALC5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostrobn

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2002
US
I would like anyone's opinion on the use of ENERCALC5.5. I use it as a "second check" tool for my own hand calculations and find it quite useful. But I also know there is much more powerful software I could be using. What software is available? Could you also describe their intended uses, strengths, and weaknesses?

My thanks to all respondents.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been using Enercalc since it was run on the Lotus 123. I have full confidence in it and the results it spits out. Of course one must be careful in the input and boundary conditions.

I was once warned about the CMU wall in Enercalc. Of course I do not use it because it is based on UBC and I live in Florida. I use the ACI 530 for CMU wall design.

I like their latest release. I do not like the graphics portion. I found few bugs that I was able to communicate to Mike Brooks and he always gave me direct support to resolve these issues.

Research Engineers put out a similar package called Staad Etc. I have some friends who have both and they continue to use Enercalc.

I will continue to use Enercalc to design structural components.

For steel or concrete beam and column analysis the results appear to be very good.

BUT, the pile group analysis gives erroneous results frequently (try a square 4 pile group centered on the origin with the load at the origin). Our firm has reported these findings to Enercalc but the response does not match what the program is doing. The pile analysis also appears to give slightly (within 10%) erroneous results when the pile group has no axis of symmetry (Ixy not zero).

For analysis of bolt groups; it uses an elastic method that is generally BUT not always conservative (AISC uses the instantaneous center method even for ASD).

Before using it extensively prove to yourself that the portions you wish to use perform calculations accurately.

We also have STAAD.etc, Enercalc and Risa Foot to do footings. STAAD.etc is a good product in that it gives you all the necessary calculations that go behind all the results. This comes in handy. I find Enercalc to be a little outdated in its graphics and its codes, but a good product for few modules (especially timber). Risa Foot is not as strong as STAAD.etc's footing - STAAD can handle top reinforcing, pedestal design and uplift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back