Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Evaporating Water to the Atmosphere using a Boiler Type Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2019
US
I am attempting to evaporate water using a boiler type vessel to the atmosphere. The normal operating pressure of the vessel is 5 psig. How much water could potentially be evaporated in these conditions? Also, what issues come to mind with this project?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think more specifics about what you are trying to accomplish would help the members of this forum better help you. I think there are more cost efficient ways to evaporate water but it is dependent on what is in the water.

Depends how much heat you have going in and what your heat losses are from the "boiler"

This question is like saying I'm heating up some water. How long does it take for the temperature to reach 70C. No other information supplied.

You supply Zero information other than the pressure of the boiler.

How is anyone even supposed to guess???

Please supply all the information you have and not drip feed little bits. Oh and let us know what you think it is and then we can see if you're on the right track.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

As your pressure is > atm then boiling point is approx. 108C.

Your latent heat goes down marginally ( say 2%)

But hen you have a jet of steam coming out of your boiler to deal with.

If this is an existing boiler, it should be rated for maximum heat input, maximum steam outflow, etc.
If you're just doing this to get rid of the water, you may find yourself gunking the boiler up with whatever dissolved solids are in the water.
If you just want to get rid of the water, you'd operate at atmospheric pressure, not 5 psi.
You may have problems with steam/fog clouds around the equipment, similar to cooling towers.
Probably more economical to use evaporation ponds or something.

Well the OP is a one hit wonder who hasn't logged in since asking the question.....

It would be nice to know the heat input(btu/hr) to the water to be evaporated and whether the temperature of the water can get to the saturation temperature at the pressure of 19.69psia. Get a set of steam table or the Mollier diagram on steam to determine the saturation temperature at the given pressure and the enthalpy at a given specific volune (lbm/cu.ft.)which will be somewhere between liquid and vapor saturated points. Using the term boiler, against my judgement, I assume heat is added for the evaporation, so the estimated time element for evaporation will be enthalpy (btu/lbm) times the amount of water to be evaporated (Lbm) divided by heat input to the water (btu/hr). The selection of specific volume will be hard to determine so I suggest that you take two enthalpy values, one the saturated liquid line and the second at the saturated vapor line and perform two separate time calculations and somewhere in between will be the true time value.

It would be nice if the OP had decided to read any of the responses. ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back