Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJAlberta

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Hi all,
Can anyone help me find the most effective evaporation calculation for sewage lagoons? I'm in alberta Canada....hot, dry summers. The Meyer equation seems to have too many unknowns. Surface area: 1100 sq.m.

Also, if anyone could tell me an effective number to predict sanitary sewer infiltration for a town of 8.1 Hectares (60 people)...that would help lots too.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the US the National Weather Service reports actual evaoration data for virtually all weather stations. Is not the same true in Canada ? Actual data would provide a much better basis for design than any theoretical formula, one would think.

As for I/I, this can vary widely. If the system is new, that is, is yet to be built, one might expect realtively little I/I. Are there no design guidelines in Canada ? Does the Provincial government in Alberta review and approve sewer designs prior to construction ? Wouldn't they be the best people to ask if they have criteria ?

good luck

Where in Alberta are you from? The equations for evaporation are going to vary from the north through to the south. The Lethbridge will have the longest (and hottest) duration, as opposed to the Peace District.

With respect to infiltration, do not, I repeat do not, make the mistake of relying on published numbers or statistical averages. You are going to have to do the system analysis and determine the rates in that particular system.

I finished a comprehensive analysis in Northern Alberta and could be of some assistance.

KRS Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back