Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Examples of Transverse Isotropic materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoobav

Materials
Aug 27, 2015
SE
Hi,

I am trying to build a table with the most common transverse isotropic materials.
The table will consist of independent engineering constants, Like E1, E2, E3, G12, G13, G23, nu12, nu13.

can someone tip me with names of common tr- iso materials, and maybe abovementioned properties with reference?

Thank you for help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A material with transverse isotropy is basically one like a unidirectional composite. These usually come in layers of E-glass, S-glass, HS-carbon and IM-carbon fibers all in any one of about 100 common polymer matrices.

E-glass fibers in a polyester matrix can be as cheap per unit weight (two or three dollars per pound) as carbon steel and IM-carbon/epoxy can cost about 50 times as much. Basalt fibers are in polymer matrix are also becoming common and are a bit more like glass than carbon.

In the plane of the fibers E-glass/polymer is quite flexible (about 1/10[sup]th[/sup] the stiffness of steel) and carbon/polymer is about half as stiff as steel. If you want material as stiff as steel then you can get HM or UHM carbon fibers, but these will be very expensive.

Check out the Hexcel, Cytec, and Toray websites. These all produce both fibers and resin matrixes.

E.g.,
PS: if I was making a table I'd use wood, which is more-or-less transversely isotropic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back