Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel.....again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKinzenbaw

Civil/Environmental
Jul 7, 2003
US
I have a number of Excel spreadsheets with northing and easting coordinates in the first 2 columns. In the 3rd column I have a station # (these spreadsheats are location and names for GPS monuments). Is there away to use the northing and easting to place a point in my drawing and have the point # automatically label the corresponding point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can I think of Northing and Easting as x and y coordinates from the origin?

If so, a VBA routine could be written to pull in the datapoints. Once they were in the drawpoint method could be used to plot and label the points.

If you can confirm the question above and don't know how to use VBA, let me know and I'll slap some skeleton code up here.

blutfort,

Actually the columns are easting, northing, station # (I switched the northing/easting on my previous post) But to answer you question YES they are considered X & Y in their appropriate coordinate system. Also I am a beginner with .lsp and no nothing about VBA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can do a litle manipulation of the data in Excel and avoid the need for lisp or VBA. For dispay of the station # I suggest you create a simple block, using a point and one attribute. This block will be inserted at each x,y coordinate, and the attribute will be the sta #. All the information for placing the point and sta# can be entered (pasted in one operation) into AutoCAD's command line. Now in Excel write a formula to concatenate info in the syntax needed for AutoCAD. the syntax will be something like:

-insert blockname xcoord,ycoord 1 1 0 Sta#

Cut and paste this column of data (commands) into AutoCAD's text window and you should be on your way.

CarlB

You lost me at "concatenate". I understand pasting in a comma delimited excel file into CAD to place my blocks in known locations. But I don't understand what or where to write a formula within Excel telling it to label the sta#'s?

Concatenate is an Excel function to string together items into one item. An example from something I did similar to what you're doing (in row 2):
=CONCATENATE("TestBoring"," ",C2,",",B2," 1"," 0","z1992-",A2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back