Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL/BOM HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

monge

Mechanical
May 18, 2001
US
Hi all, Need yor help

On my model I have properties such as partno, material, title...rev# and I use this properties to populate the dwg. sheet, we have been creating models, assemblies and dwgs. with this properties for a little while, so a change on the name of the properties in question is out the question(?).

Now the problem, one of this properties names, in this case rev# has this symbol "#" on its name and I want to use that property on my bill of material.
I can use "material", "finish " "title" to show on my bom,but when it comes to rev#, I try to define it it excel so I can add a colum for revision level on my bom, but excel will not allow this name,when I type rev# and try to add it ( read define it), it says "this name is not valid". and it will not let me define it to the colum, any ideas
what I'm doing wrong? any workarounds?

Thank you for your responses...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, you will have to change the name of the custom property. There is no way to assign a name in Excel using the # character. If you have a ton of parts to change, you could write a VBA program to open each file, find the existing value of the rev# property and copy it to a new name (i.e. RevNo). I can not think of any other way to fix this problem.

Anyone else? DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back