Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

excel Formula Find help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
I can do a find to give me the location of an underscore. However some of the cells it turns out will have an underscore previous the one I am looking for.

How can you do a find, that looks for an underscore followed by a number, but you never know what number it will be?

Example of the text....

"30B1556 on ESG_TMP-23_43@281"

I dont care about the first underscore in this case. I want the location of the second underscore. But most cells do not have two underscores so I cannot look for the nth underscore. I need the underscore that is followed by a number. This way all cells will be finding the correct underscore.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brute force would be looking for any one of the 10 underscore digit combinations. Certainly there’s something more elegant.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Here's a User Defined Function (UDF) in the attached workbook.

Code:
Function WhereIsChar(sValue As String, sChar As String) As Integer
'SkipVought 2923 Aug 1
'returns character position of sChar if character to the right is numeric
'otherwise returns ZERO
    Dim a, i As Integer
    a = Split(sValue, "_")
    WhereIsChar = Len(a(0)) + 1
    For i = 1 To UBound(a)
        If IsNumeric(Left(a(i), 1)) Then
          WhereIsChar = WhereIsChar
          Exit Function
       End If
       WhereIsChar = WhereIsChar + Len(a(i)) + 1
    Next
    WhereIsChar = 0
End Function

You must Enable Macros to view or run.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=adc0e807-c1b4-4205-af4e-85406ca06a34&file=WhereIsChar.xlsm
And here's a spreadsheet formula that works in Excel 2019

[tt]=SUM(IFERROR(FIND({"_0","_1","_2","_3","_4","_5","_6","_7","_8","_9"},A2),0))[/tt]

Where A2 contains the text.

Skip,
[sub]

Alternatively, the find list could be in a Structured Table named tFindList on a hidden sheet, for instance, a much superior type of approach that trades on the ease of maintaining & modifying DATA as opposed to CODE...

=SUM(IFERROR(FIND(tFindList,A2),0))

...and enter as an Array Formula

Skip,
[sub]

Awesome
Thanks skip

As often happens to me though, I am pulled onto something else that is hot and I will need a couple more days before I cant test this out.

THank you

As always, you are a great help. :)

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back