Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel hangup in background

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneVan

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2005
US
Has anyone noticed Excel hanging up in the background if you try to edit an excel based object within a drawing? When it happens, we can usually just kill the excel program from the task manager and it doesn't do it anymore, but every once in a while it will come back.

Anne Van Epern
C.G. Bretting Mfg., Ashland, WI

SW 2006 SP4.1 DBWorks 2005
Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have seen this in the past... usually turns out to be a MS issue... but you can try and run a repair on your SW install and see if that helps.

Could also be your video card driver, check to be sure its the right one.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Thanks for the responses!

We first saw this happening when we upgraded from 04 to 06. One person had it happen and we assumed it was just something he did wrong. But then more and more people started getting the same thing. As soon as they would try to edit an excel spreadsheet, it's like it would freeze up and the object box would start to flicker. We work off of network licenses, so I'm thinking we could have very well missed something in the initial installation seeing as how we didn't see this happen until just after the upgrade. We sent the problem to our VAR but they couldn't really offer us any answers at the time. I don't really know much about OLE objects and how they work in SW but it couldn't hurt to check into it as well.

Thanks for all the help!

Anne Van Epern

Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

first off I hope you did a New Install of your SW06 and didn't just upgrade from SW04 to 06... ifso, uninstall and reinstall the package... FAQ Clean uninstall and reisntall

two, I hope you have your Anti-Virus shut off udring installation, if not... then you need to follow the above steps in the FAQ and reinstall with AV turned off. This is also relevent with installing SP. Turn yourAV off.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I don't typically do the installs, but I have helped our IT guys do it because we have about 60-70 workstations to maintain just in engineering. I do know that when we do updates, we completely uninstall and reinstall SW from scratch. And also, I do know that AV is disabled when we do it. Sorry about the confusion! I meant to say we installed 06, not upgraded! Thanks for the heads-up!

Anne Van Epern

Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

For some reason Mocrosoft Office 2003 is not listed as one of the supported versions for SolidWorks 2006. Do the troublesome machines happen to be using Office 2003?

Eric

Actually Office 03 is not supported, but I heard it was only because of a couple of things... not sure if Excel is one of them or not... but this issue has been around since MS Office 97 and on. But if you do have 03 contact your VAR or SW and tell them the issue and see if its the reason why... if it is they said they had fixes (workarounds) for the reasons why 03 is not supported.

If you uninstall it, do you do a clean uninstall reinstall, or do you just uninstall and reisntall?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

All of our machines are using office 03 and yes we do a clean reinstall. I'm actually suprised our VAR didn't mention any work arounds or even the fact that Office 03 isn't supported. You would think that would be something they should know.

Anne Van Epern

Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

Well it's listed in the that piece of paper that comes with your CD's (the neon orange color) that has in BIG BOLD letters STOP Read this before installing. So actually you both should know it because you should have read it before installing... I do agree they should have been aware of it though.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I found this today in case any of you have not seen this. You can find it inthe KBA at
Question: What can cause a program such as Excel to hang when updating links with a linked SolidWorks document?

Answer: This issue has been identified and reported to the development team on SPR#309221 ("SolidWorks acting as an OLE server to Excel with a linked SolidWorks drawing generates a hang - fails to find drawing when opened").

This problem can occur when the SolidWorks is launched as an OLE server to open a file the program does not find. To see this effect open the OLE client and size the program to fit at most, ¼ of the screen area. Ensure that the desktop is also visible. Open the affected document and notice the SolidWorks dialog appear. This will be followed afterwards by “Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action.”, or a similar message from the OLE Client application. While the SolidWorks message is always raised it is normally submerged. Until the dialog is cleared neither SolidWorks nor the OLE Client application can continue.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Yes, hang ups with excel here also. Mine usually have something to do with a DT. Usually a fatal error that requires a shutdown/restart. All I can say is "SAVE OFTEN".

Bloodclot

What do you see when the Pillsbury Dough Boy bends over?

Doughnuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back